Books Change Direction Mission
- To recognize books and authors that contribute to changing the culture in America about mental health, mental illness, and wellness, and do so in some or all of the following ways:
- promote understanding and compassion for those suffering and their loved ones.
- mirror the reality of mental health struggles and successes
- provide a window into the lives and illnesses that are often misrepresented and misunderstood.
- provide comfort and suggestions on how to best help ourselves or someone in need.
- To educate creators, librarians and people in the publishing industry on the importance of responsibly representing mental health and mental illness in books.
- To help people in need access these books.
Children And Books
Here are a few sites and resources that we have found helpful when it comes to mental health and books for our young populations.
- Check out these 19 Must-Read Books to Help Kids Understand Emotional and Mental Health (Thrive Global)
- A Novel Mind is a resource to help you discover quality children’s literature addressing children’s neurodiversity and mental health issues.