Event and Printable Materials
Opportunities to Help with Outreach:
For Licensed Professionals
- Reach out to veterans’ service organizations in your area (American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, AmVets, USO, etc.) to introduce yourself and Give an Hour. Offer to speak to their members, either about Give an Hour in general or about a specific mental health issue – like the Five Signs of emotional suffering, and offer to provide them brochures to distribute to their members.
- Contact local schools and offer to do a presentation to teachers and staff about the psychological and emotional issues children of deployed service members might face.
- Let your professional organizations know you are a Give an Hour provider.
- Consider submitting a general article to your professional organization’s newsletter.
- Work with your professional organization to recruit additional volunteer providers to Give an Hour’s network and ensure there is a link from organization’s website to Give an Hour.
For Organizational Volunteers
- Contact your local VA Hospital, Vet Center, military base, Reserve or National Guard unit about possible speaking engagements and to place brochures.
- Connect with local chambers of commerce, rotary clubs, and other civic and philanthropic organizations in your community. Offer to speak to them about Give an Hour and the mental health needs of veterans and their families. Ask them to distribute our brochures and to consider making a financial contribution.
- Consider hosting your own special event to raise awareness and funds.
- Research community events to participate in and be the “face” of Give an Hour. You can wear a Give an Hour t-shirt, distribute brochures, host a table, and so on…