Independently Licensed Providers
Follow the 3 steps below to join:
Thank you for your willingness to donate your time and expertise to provide critical mental health services. As a Give an Hour provider, you have the option to participate in various programs providing mental health services, support and education to populations in need. NOTE: In order to enroll as a GAH provider, you must be independently licensed and carry malpractice insurance. Scroll below to join our organization in three easy steps.
Step 1: Commonly Asked Questions by Providers
- Since 2005, we have focused on providing free mental health care to active, guard and reserve service members, veterans, and their loved ones.
- As our nation faces devastating natural disasters and tragedies such as mass shootings or bombings, there is a critical need to provide help and hope to those who are suffering.
- In response to the Coronavirus, COVID19 pandemic; Give an Hour is assisting hospital workers in NY, NJ, and CT.
- In-person Counseling: We recognize that in-person support is the standard within the mental health community. However, we also recognize this may not be feasible for everyone.
- Video Counseling: We encourage the use of HIPAA-compliant platforms when an individual is unable to meet in-person with a provider.
- Telephone Support: We understand providers will rely on their professional judgement to determine if phone support is a sufficient way to meet the individual’s mental health needs.
- Outreach and Engagement: We provide opportunities for providers to serve their communities by engaging, recruiting, and educating others about Give an Hour through several of our initiatives. Learn more.
Am I offering just one hour? Or, how many sessions am I required to offer as a Give an Hour provider?
The traditional Give an Hour volunteer commitment is one hour of your services per week for a minimum of one year, per Give an Hour client you accept, although exceptions may be made for specific programs.
Hospital Heroes: This program requires a commitment of no less than six sessions.
You may also choose to volunteer at conferences, resource fairs, or other events while you wait for a client to contact you.
The answer to this question varies from state to state and is changing rapidly. Please contact the appropriate licensing entities for the most up to date information. For the latest licensing information for the Hospital Heroes Program click here.
What are the licensing requirements for various professionals seeking to join Give an Hour as a mental health provider?
- You must be in good standing with your licensing board for the last two consecutive years.
- Social workers must have the highest license the state requires to practice independently. It varies from state to state, but generally the abbreviation is LICSW, LCSW, or LCSW-C.
- Professional counselors must have the highest license the state requires to practice independently. It varies from state to state, but generally the abbreviation is LPC, LMHC or LCPC.
- Pastoral counselors must be licensed as such or a fellowship level member of the American Association of Pastoral Counselors.
- Psychologists must have a doctorate and a license to practice.
- Marriage and family providers must have an LMFT.
- Psychiatrists must have an M.D. or a D.O. with proper accreditation in psychiatry.
- Psychiatric nurses, drug and alcohol counselors, and other mental health professionals not covered here must follow their state’s regulations for proper licensing.
There are no forms to fill out and you do not need to report new clients to us. We do ask you to keep track of your donated hours and relay this information to us in our surveys and also let us make your profile unavailable when your Give an Hour client load is full.
My Give an Hour client has insurance. Is it ok to charge their insurance if I don’t charge the client a co-pay?
No. Participating in our program means you are willing to provide pro bono sessions to each Give an Hour client you accept, with no regard for insurance or ability to pay. It would be inconsistent with our mission to charge someone for Give an Hour sessions, even if those sessions would be covered by insurance.
Step 2: Review the Terms of Service Below
By registering with Give an Hour you agree:
You are a licensed mental health professional in good standing for the last two consecutive years in the state in which you are practicing.
For Military, Natural Disaster, or Man-made Trauma clients, you will offer one hour per week of mental health support or treatment at no charge, on an ongoing basis to each client you accept through our program.
For Hospital Heroes Program clients, you will offer six hours of mental support or treatment at no charge. Future sessions with Hospital Heroes clients can be arranged through insurance, sliding scale or self-pay.
You will provide mental health services only in areas you are qualified to practice.
You have sufficient malpractice insurance coverage in place.
You will notify Give an Hour if you are ever subject to disciplinary action or any other change in professional status within 30 days.
You will update your profile status if your schedule is full and you are not currently accepting new Give an Hour clients.
You will update your contact and license information when necessary and respond to all inquiries regarding your services.
You understand Give an Hour disclaims all warranties and liabilities regarding its clients and are aware we do not pre-screen clients.
You will take all precautions to ensure your relationship with your client(s) is safe and successful.
You will conduct your practice using the highest ethical standards and respect and honor the dignity and individuality of those who seek your assistance.
You will follow all mandatory reporting guidelines set by your state and licensing board.
Give an Hour reserves the right to terminate your participation in our network with or without cause at any time.
Step 3: Register as a Provider
Access information, updates, and trainings from Give an Hour’s Coronavirus page for providers.
Provider Resources and Benefits:
Licensed mental health professionals registered in our network receive a discounted subscription to TherapyNotes, a fully integrated and secure online system to manage scheduling, notes, and billing. The discount applies to group practices with multiple users. Use code GAH.
Non-profit offering free education and support to those who work with, live with, or care for service members, veterans, and their families and is accredited by six different organizations to provide free continuing education credits.
Free 60-day trial membership to this leading online therapist referral directory searched by over 1.5 million people per month, with a mission to reduce harm in therapy through education and advocacy.
Give an Hour providers are eligible to receive a free basic listing with HelpPRO Therapist Finder. Consider listing your practice with HelpPRO as another way to reach those in need and spread awareness.
This site offers promotions for customizable survey services which allow clients and therapists to engage between sessions. Get free unlimited use for a single client using code GH-01-01Y or a discounted subscription for an unlimited number of clients is available for $39 per month with code GH-00-01M.
Give an Hour Initiatives & Programs
Interested in participating in specific programs for populations, or helping in ways other than direct services? Learn more about Give an Hour’s initiatives and contact a program lead to get involved.